You really don’t plan to fail, you just fail to plan. My wife and daughters have heard me say this a thousand times. Planning and failing can work for you or against you. One thing for sure is your odds of achieving what you want are a lot better with a plan. As we run into 2016, it’s time to pull out the planning tools and really take the time to write down what you want to accomplish and put a plan behind it so you do.
December is a big planning month for me because if you don’t plan your week and your year, someone will do that for you. You need to own your life, not follow it. I have pulled together the tools I use to put 2016 in the cross hairs so you can plan your life and accomplish the things you want in 2016.
As you use these tools, remember to keep the 5 domains of your life in mind as you want to have goals that include all 5. The life domains are:
As you work on your plans using the tools, try to keep in mind where you make your biggest contribution. This is where you are strong, productive, and the happiest. The planning tools I use are below.
- Ideal Week – Used for planning out your ideal week.
- Annual Calendar – Used for planning your year.
- Strengths Checklist Evaluation – Self Check on strengths.
- Goals Sheet – Template for Documenting your goals with annual timeline.
Complete the Goals Sheet
- Remember goals have to be SMART – Specific, Measurable, Actionable, Realistic, Time-bound
Complete the Ideal Week Sheet
- Do monthly reviews to see if adjustments are needed and how successful you are at hitting your ideal week.
Complete the Annual Calendar
- This one is important – put holidays, vacations, family activities, travel, and things you know that are going to happen. You will be surprised at how this fills up so quickly.
Do a Life Plan
Good Luck and Run into 2016 – start now!!!