I recently had a conversation with one of my daughters friends and he seemed to be acting a little differently. I pressed him a little about what he has been doing and how life has been going for him. The last question I asked is who as he been hanging out with that last few months. This is an important question because the people closest to you and the people you hang around the most can have the biggest influence on you – good and bad.
Did you know that you are the average of the 5 people you spend the most time with? The theory comes from the law of averages, which is the theory that any given situation will be the average of all outcomes. Like all salespeople, entrepreneurs and all successful people regardless of their profession know… in order to increase your wins, you have to also increase your losses. Whether we like it or not, we are greatly influenced by our relationships of the ones closest to us. It affects our thinking, self-esteem, and our decision making. We are all our own person, but the fact is we are absolutely influenced and affected by our environment.
- Who are you “hanging” with the most?
- Are you adopting their habits?
- Are you adopting their belief system?
- Are your standards being influenced to be higher or lower?
We all grow over the years which means the people we “hang” out with the most will change. Like it or not, as we grow, our views change and we will probably adopt new friends and co-workers. This means we are changing and it is your job to be changing for the better. If you look back at your life, you probably have themes where your friends influenced what you did. They could of influenced you adopt their habits like tennis, running, eating healthy, wine or beer night or nice cars?
We will always be influencing someone or getting influenced by someone. Keeping your core values while adopting new habits that were influenced is normal, just make sure you’re adopting habits that help you accomplish YOUR dreams and goals.
Identify your themes of life with certain groups of friends.
- Look for common life patterns?
- Did you adopt others’ habits?
- Did you change friends based on what you wanted or were accomplishing?
Identify your top 5 people you hang out with the most.
- Did you adopt any of their habits?
Evaluate to ensure you are living according to your values and not others.
- Be intentional about you and the people you “hang” with as they will ultimately influence you.Good Luck, and go live an intentional life with the people that will help you accomplish your dreams and goals.