When someone asks you about yourself, do you start with your role at work or you as a person? I love asking people this question to see how they respond. Normally, the first thing to come out of their mouth is their role at work. Which is expected as we spend 8 to 10 hours at work every workday.
You should know your IDENTITY of YOU for YOU! I figured that out a few years back and still continue to work on it now. I co-founded Pinnacle at the age of 28, and didn’t know a lot of things. After 12 years running a successful business – I came to the conclusion I had to separate my role from my ownership. Let me say that again – just because I co-owned the business didn’t mean I deserved the role of CEO. Owners get this wrong all the time, they feel it is a deserved role and need to keep it to maintain control. Usually this stems from the entrepreneur and narcissism traits in owners.
Jim Collins in Good to Great states you have to get the right people on the bus, then get the right people in the right seats on the bus. Pretty genius!! It takes some soul searching and being honest with yourself to determine if you are in the right seat, ask these questions:
- Where are you most productive?
- What do you enjoy the most?
- What can only you do?
- What are you the best at that will contribute the most?
- Are you maximizing you?
When I listened to The 4 Disciplines of Execution and understood the urgent vs. important quadrant it helped me understand what is important and what I should prioritize to contribute the most. A lot of people mistake activity for productivity which is just wrong. Did you ever notice how you can fill an 8 hour work day with a task, but if you need to leave by noon for something you enjoy, you magically can get that task done in 4 hours? So who are you excluding your Job Role? You may have to get out a journal or a piece of paper to start scratching down your thoughts and then talk about them. Remember “thoughts disentangle themselves passing over the lips and through pencil tips.”
- Do a Life Plan – get the free ebook from Michael Hyatt
- This will help you define your priorities, who you want to be, and execution items of change
- Do the Strength Finders 2.0 test – get the book and make sure you understand your strengths
- This will help you make sure you get in the right seat in life and work
- Stand in the Mirror Naked every morning for 2 minutes for 2 weeks
- Know who you are, what you stand for, what you will say YES to and more importantly what you will say NO to
- As I tell my daughters – YOU are the only one that can give your character away – NO ONE can take it from you
- Practice Processing thoughts to create new highways in your brain aka Nerual pathways
- This will help you continue the improvement journey of responsive thinking vs. reaction thinking
- Capture the thought, think about the normal response/reaction, determine if you want your action to be different, if different shove it down a new path. Repeat process until new highway is created. Result – new you, new normal response.
This is an investment in yourself to KNOW YOU! Take steps today and good luck.
James 1:23 – Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like.