I feel there is a misconception about what we need in life. I recently heard Lou Holtz speak and one section of his speech stood out to me. He talked about everyone needing 4 Things in Life.
- Something To Do – something you are really passionate about.
- Someone To Love
- Something To Hope For
- Someone To Believe In
How about you, do you have all 4 in your life? I’ve read and heard about people that don’t have something to do that they are passionate about dying relatively quickly after they retire. I also have heard if you lose a spouse at an older age, and you don’t have something that drives you, you quickly join them. I actually experienced that with my grandparents. We are either growing or dying in life no matter what age you may be. There is no such thing as maintenance mode because in this mode there is nothing to strive for.
Your Life is and will be about CHOICES and DECISIONS. When you decide in advance, you own your life vs. it owning you. Living Right is a Choice. How are you doing on the below items:
- Doing the Right Thing
- Knowing your Priorities
- Living your actions according to your priorities
- Being Honest (the truth is easy, lying is hard)
- Not holding grudges or being bitter
Assess yourself against the 4 Things of Life.
- Write Down the sentences and write your answer to each of them
- Validate your answers with someone you trust
- Adjust your actions if needed
Assess yourself against the Living Right statements
- Write them down
- Write your answers down with any thoughts on each
- Adjust if needed with specific action items and due dates